**For optimized user experience, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox is recommended for the application process. The form also works best on laptop, desktop, or tablet.**
Use the link above to join AAMFT, the premier organization for individuals interested in the field of marriage and family therapy. AAMFT proudly provides a unified voice for all marriage and family therapists worldwide. Join thousands of systemic family therapists, practitioners, educators, researchers, and students who have made a commitment to support AAMFT's mission through AAMFT membership. We strive to provide the services, resources and conveniences that you need to be successful in the profession. As a member, you are eligible to receive member benefits including exclusive member discounts on products and services.
Members also have the option to tailor their membership benefits by opting in to join geographic engagement programs representing U.S. states and Canadian provinces that focus on advocacy, education, and networking with a local flavor, as well as join topical engagement programs that cover a variety of areas and specialties that are important for MFTs. These engagement programs offer opportunities to be involved in leadership, peer-to-peer interaction, and vital advocacy initiatives which are key ways to enhance and expand your membership!
*Beginning June 1, 2021, as a result of a recent Bylaws vote, AAMFT has simplified membership to two basic categories: Professional Member and Student Member. Please complete the application under the category that is most applicable to you.
Open to students who are currently enrolled in an accredited educational institution for bachelor’s or master’s degree program in a Marriage and Family Therapy or related mental health field which meets the education and training criteria established by the AAMFT Board and who are interested and supportive of AAMFT’s mission to advance Marriage and Family Therapy or Systemic Family Therapy as a profession and field of study.
*Students who are eligible for a higher category of membership, based on licensure or post-master’s work toward licensure, are ineligible for student membership and must apply under the professional membership category. Student membership is not a guarantee of eventual Professional membership or of eventual state/provisional licensure as a mental health practitioner. Student members are responsible for seeking appropriate guidance through their training to ensure membership, licensing, or practice requirements are met.
Student National Dues:
- $99 – for US and International. All dues and fees are non-refundable. Having difficulty applying online? Please download this form and email it to email@example.com.
Professional Membership is open to individuals who have received an accredited bachelor’s, master’s, or doctorate in Marriage and Family Therapy or related mental health field which meets the criteria established by the Board and who are interested and supportive of AAMFT’s mission to advance Marriage and Family Therapy or Systemic Family Therapy as a profession and field of study. Click Here for Pathways to Professional Membership.
To be eligible for Professional Membership you need to meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Fully licensed or practicing independently as a Systemic Family Therapist or MFT or related mental health field
- Have graduated with a degree that allows you to work on requirements towards full licensure or independent practice of MFT or related mental health field
- Meets the basic requirements to pursue the Clinical Fellow designation
Professional Membership National Dues:
The following are special rates offered to professional members who meet the following criteria:
- $216 for US and Canada. All dues and fees are non-refundable. Having difficulty applying online? If you are licensed in the US, please download this form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have never been an AAMFT Professional - Full member and have a license, certificate or other credentials outside of the US, please book a consultation here.
- $184 for outside of US and Canada. All dues and fees are non-refundable.
- $146 for early professionals who have recently graduated and are still working towards full licensure or independent practice. This reduced rate is valid for two years. All dues and fees are non-refundable. Having difficulty applying online? Please download this form and email it to email@example.com.
- $99 for emerging professionals fully enrolled in an MFT doctoral program or related mental health field. This reduced rate is good until the end of the student's graduation date for a maximum of four years. All dues and fees are non-refundable. Having difficulty applying online? Please download this form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Affiliate membership is for individuals who do not meet AAMFT Student or Professional membership requirements but still want to be part of the AAMFT family. It provides opportunities for those who do not qualify as an AAMFT Student or Professional member yet interested to connect with people in the mental health profession, to stay up-to-date on the latest research, news and clinical developments in the field of MFT, and to network with other AAMFT members. Please note, this is a non-voting membership type. All members of AAMFT must belong to the highest category of membership for which they are eligible based on their professional achievement.
Affiliate Membership National Dues:
- $161 for Affiliate dues. All dues and fees are non-refundable.
Click Here to Learn More About AAMFT Designations
AAMFT offers two prestigious designations that members can add to their membership. The previous Clinical Fellow membership category has been elevated to a designation. Professional members who meet the criteria are eligible to apply for this designation. In addition, AAMFT also offers an Approved Supervisor designation. For more information, please click here.
In 2018, AAMFT has made a commitment to diversity and inclusion with the adoption of our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity Statement. Membership is one of the key areas in which diversity, equity, and inclusivity are a vital aspect of our association. Please be sure to review our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity Statement.
Please note that all members of AAMFT must belong to the highest category of membership for which they are eligible based on their professional achievement. All dues and fees are non-refundable. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please feel free to reach out to email@example.com or call (703) 838-9808.