AAMFT aims to be inclusive to all participants of AAMFT interactions, live and online, to ensure a welcoming, safe, and respectful environment by reflecting the diverse interests of our membership. We are committed to providing an inclusive environment for all, regardless of gender, age, gender identity, race, health status, national origin, relationship status, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and religion.
This Inclusivity Policy outlines our expectations for all those who participate in AAMFT interactions, as well as the handling of unacceptable behavior.
“AAMFT interactions” in this policy includes, but is not limited to, AAMFT live events, including meetings, continuing education or other courses, conferences, AAMFT pre-recorded events, AAMFT online courses, forums, and any other interaction involving AAMFT.
“Participant” in this policy refers to anyone present at AAMFT interactions, including staff, contractors, vendors, exhibitors, venue staff, members, and all attendees.
2. Expected Behavior
We expect all participants of AAMFT interactions (staff, contractors, vendors, exhibitors, venue staff, members, and all attendees) to abide by this Inclusivity Policy in all venues of AAMFT interactions, including ancillary or other events in any official capacity, both live and online.
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants.
- Alert AAMFT staff if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this Inclusivity Policy.
3. Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behaviors includes:
- Intimidating, derogatory or demeaning speech, or actions by any participant of AAMFT interactions, at all related events and in one-on-one communications. Event venues may be shared with members of the public; please be respectful to all participants of these locations.
- Harmful or prejudicial verbal or written comments or visual images related to gender, age, gender identity, race, health status, national origin, relationship status, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and religion.
- Inappropriate use of nudity and/or sexual images in public spaces (including presentation slides).
- Deliberate stalking or following.
- Harassing photography or recording.
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events.
- Unwelcome and uninvited attention or contact.
- Physical assault (including unwelcome touching or groping).
- Real or implied threat of physical, professional or financial damage or harm.
Exhibitors in the exhibit hall, sponsor or vendor booths, or similar activities are also subject to the Inclusivity Policy.
Retaliation for reporting an incident is a violation of the Inclusivity Policy.
Reporting an incident in bad faith is a violation of the Inclusivity Policy.
4. Handling of Unacceptable Behavior
Behavior AAMFT is committed to ensuring that AAMFT interactions are safe and welcoming to all participants. Incidents of unacceptable behavior by any participant of AAMFT interactions will be taken seriously and will be addressed as follows:
- AAMFT staff, or its proxies, will be trained in handling incidents involving unacceptable behavior, both live and online.
- AAMFT staff, or its proxies, will provide assistance to those participants to which the incident occurred.
- AAMFT staff, or its proxies, will work to resolve the issue as quickly and fairly as possible while prioritizing the needs and concerns of all participants.
- Participants may file a complaint as described in Section 5. All efforts will be made to keep complaints contained to the parties involved.
- If the participant believes an AAMFT member has violated the AAMFT Code of Ethics , they may file a complaint per the AAMFT Procedures for Handling Ethical Matters .
- AAMFT staff, or its proxies, reserve the right to remove an individual from any AAMFT interaction without refund, and to prohibit an individual from future participation in AAMFT interactions.
5. If You Are Subject or Witness to Unacceptable Behavior
If you feel uncomfortable or unwelcome as a result of another participant’s behavior, if you witness inappropriate behavior, or if you have other concerns regarding participants’ behavior, please contact an AAMFT staff member onsite or email email@example.com and address your comments to the Chief Executive Officer or Chief Operations Officer.
If possible, provide the following information in writing on the provided form:
- Identifying information (name/badge number, appearance) of the participant who allegedly violated this policy.
- The behavior that was in violation.
- The approximate time of the behavior.
- The circumstances surrounding the incident.
- Other people involved in or witnessing the incident.
6. Addressing Grievances
Findings of violation of the Inclusivity Policy, and decisions and actions taken by AAMFT staff in response to violations, may be appealed by requesting an internal review by AAMFT.