Speaker: Bruce V. Hillowe, J.D., Ph.D
This workshop will review the essential ethical and legal background for the provision of psychotherapy by licensed marriage and family therapists in New York State in the areas of record-keeping, informed consent and mandatory reporting requirements. Practitioners will be provided with templates for general record-keeping, informed consent, HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices, SAFE Act reporting and risk management documentation. Topics will include:
1. Beginning and planning psychotherapeutic treatment.
2. Supervision and consultation.
3. The basics of record-keeping and contents of records.
4. Foundations of standards of care, including statutes, professional regulations, case law and NASW Code of Ethics.
5. Informed consent for all patients and the HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices.
6. Special issues of informed consent with adolescents.
7. Special issues with child abuse and neglect identification and reporting in NYS.
8. Assessing and managing at-risk patients, the duty to protect and warn.
9. New York's SAFE Act.
**No Handouts Were Provided**