When the Approved Supervisor mentor and supervisor candidate believe that the candidate has met all requirements for becoming an Approved Supervisor, they should work together to complete the Approved Supervisor application packet.
Checklist of requirements:
- The candidate must have completed a graduate degree in marriage and
family therapy or a closely related field. This requirement is actually a
prerequisite to begin training and it should be re-verified at this
- Is the Approved Supervisor mentor a current AAMFT Approved
Supervisor or was at time of mentoring? Had the Approved Supervisor
mentor completed at least 300 hours (120 past own Approved Supervisor
Designation training (also a prerequisite prior to the beginning of training)?
- Was the supervisor candidate in training for the Approved Supervisor designation for at least 18 months?
- Did the supervisor candidate complete a pre-approved or AAMFT offered 30-hour supervision fundamentals course?
- Was the course completed within the past five years (prior to the Approved Supervisor application being submitted)?
the supervisor candidate have written verification that the course was
completed - a certificate, verification letter, transcript, etc. showing
the date on which the course was taken and by whom it was offered?
- Has the supervisor candidate supervised at least 2 trainees of sufficient time to evaluate developmental clinical progress?
- Has the supervisor candidate provided 180 hours of clinical supervision to at least 2 MFTs during the 18-month training period?
- If two Approved Supervisor mentors were used, did the supervisor candidate
receive at least 10 hours of mentoring from the final Approved
- Did the supervisor candidate
receive at least 36 hours of supervision mentoring from one or two AAMFT
Approved Supervisors during the 18-month training period?
at least 90 hours of supervising and 18 hours of supervision mentoring
obtained within the two years immediately prior to the submission of the application
- Is the supervisor candidate an AAMFT Clinical Fellow or
Pre-Clinical Fellow (if graduated from a COAMFTE accredited doctoral
Checklist of items that must be included in the application packet:
Make sure that all of the above items are included in the application packet and that all forms are completed in their entirety. Ensure that all forms are signed. Type or write legibly, and be sure to double-check contact information such as the candidate's e-mail address. If information is omitted, the application review will be delayed.