The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of marriage and family therapy. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.
Oklahoma has one MFT license, Licensed Marital and Family Therapist (LMFT). There is also a Licensed Marital and Family Therapist Candidate designation.
Marital and Family Therapist License Requirements
- A master's or doctoral degree in marital and family therapy, or a related subject with equivalent coursework as defined by the Board.
- Passed the exam approved by the board.
- Completion of two years of post-degree supervised work experience as an MFT.
- Must include a minimum of 1,000 hours of direct client contact.
- 250 hours must be direct client contact with families, couples, and/or groups.
- Direct supervision should occur no less than 6.25 hours for each 42 hours of direct client contact.
- A minimum of 150 hours must be face-to-face supervision, with no more than 75 hours of group supervision.
- Technology-assisted supervision shall not exceed 75 hours of the total requirement.
- Applicants in the process of obtaining supervised experience are called Licensed Marital and Family Therapist Candidates.
- Supervision FAQs
Licensure by Endorsement (Portability)
Read more details on Oklahoma MFT licensure in the Rules and Statutes
Oklahoma State Board of Behavioral Health Licensure
- Must provide verification of licenses held in other jurisdictions, with evidence of no disciplinary action.
- The requirements of licensure in the previous state must be equivalent or exceed the requirements for Oklahoma licensure, as determined by the Board.
- An applicant can also receive a license if:
- The applicant provides evidence of active practice of marriage and family therapy for five years prior to applying for Oklahoma licensure.
In order to renew a license, a licensee must complete continuing education every year.
- To renew LMFT: 20 contact hours.
- An LMFT does not need to renew their initial license for two years.
State Officials & Legislative Information