The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of marriage and family therapy. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.
Nevada has two MFT licenses, Marriage and Family Therapist Intern, and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT).
Intern License Requirements
- Graduated from a regionally accredited program.
- Submit to the Board a contract and plan with a primary and secondary supervisor.
- An in-person interview with the Board may be required.
- Required to pass the exam prescribed by the board after one year of working as an MFT intern.
- This license is valid for 3 years and may be renewed only once.
- Read more about the MFT Intern licensure process.
Marriage and Family Therapist License Requirements
- Completion of the requirements for the MFT Intern license.
- Passed the exam approved by the board.
- Three letters of recommendation, personal or professional.
- Completion of at least two years of postgraduate experience.
- At least 3,000 hours of supervised experience.
- 1,500 of which must consist of direct client contact.
- 300 hours must be direct supervision, including at least 160 hours with the primary supervisor, and at least 40 hours with the secondary supervisor.
- Specific supervision requirements.
- More details on MFT licensure process.
Licensure by Endorsement (Portability)
Read more details on Nevada MFT Licensure
State of Nevada Board of Examiners for Marriage and Family Therapists & Clinical Professional Counselors
- In addition to providing evidence of completing requirements for MFT licensure in Nevada, the applicant must:
- Provide verification of licenses held in other jurisdictions, with evidence of no disciplinary action.
In order to renew a license, a licensee must complete continuing education every year.
State Officials & Legislative Information