The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of marriage and family therapy. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.
Indiana has two MFT licenses, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist Associate (LMFTA), and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT). There is also a temporary permit.
Associate License Requirements
- A master's or doctoral degree in marriage and family therapy or a related topic with equivalent coursework.
- Completion of a supervised practicum, including a minimum of 500 face-to-face client contact hours. This experience may be obtained at another institution.
- 100 hours must be directly supervised by an LMFT.
- Pass an examination provided by the Board.
- This license may only be renewed up to two times.
- An associate temporary permit may be granted if the applicant pays an extra fee.
Marriage and Family Therapist License Requirements
- Completion of the education and internship requirements for the MFT Associate license.
- Passed the exam approved by the board.
- Completion of two years of post-degree clinical experience as an MFT.
- A minimum of 1,000 hours of client contact
- Half of the clients must be receiving marriage and family therapy services.
- Must be supervised under a board-approved supervisor.
- Completion of 200 hours of direct supervision, 100 of which must be individual.
Licensure by Endorsement (Portability)
Read more details on Indiana MFT licensure
Indiana Behavioral Health And Human Services Licensing Board
- Must provide verification of licenses held in other jurisdictions, with evidence of no disciplinary action.
- Passed an exam substantially equivalent to the level for which licensure is being requested.
- An applicant may be exempt from the examination requirement if the individual has been licensed and practicing for at least three of the previous five years in another jurisdiction.
In order to renew a license, a licensee must complete continuing education every 24 months.
- To renew an Associate License: 30 hours.
- An associate licensed less than 24 months will be required to complete 15 hours of continuing education.
- An associate licensed less than 12 months will not be required to complete continuing education.
- To renew an LMFT license: 40 hours.
- An LMFT that has been licensed for less than 24 months will be required to complete 20 hours of continuing education.
- An LMFT licensed for less than 12 months will not be required to complete continuing education.
- Read more on required subjects and accepted courses.
State Officials & Legislative Information