The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of marriage and family therapy. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.
Georgia has two MFT licenses, Associate Marriage and Family Therapist (AMFT), and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT).
Associate License Requirements
- A master's degree from a COAMFTE-accredited or a regionally accredited program in marriage and family therapy, or a related subject with equivalent coursework.
- Must include a one-year practicum, with a minimum of 500 hours of direct clinical experience. 100 hours must be directly supervised.
- A registered contract for post-graduate experience and supervision.
- Pass the exam prescribed by the Board after approval.
- Read more details on associate licensure.
Marriage and Family Therapist License Requirements
- Completion of the education requirements for the AMFT license.
- Passed the exam prescribed by the board after approval.
- If licensed as an AMFT prior to applying for full licensure:
- Two years of full time (20 hours per week) post-master's experience and supervision.
- Includes a minimum of 2,000 hours of direct clinical experience.
- If not full-time, the equivalent amount of part-time work.
- 100 hours of direct supervision. A minimum of 50 hours are required to be individual.
- If applying with a master's degree:
- Three years of full-time post-master's experience or its equivalent.
- Includes a minimum of 2,500 hours of direct clinical experience.
- One year of experience may have been in an approved practicum, including a minimum of 500 hours do direct clinical experience.
- 100 hours of direct supervision, with a minimum of 50 hours of individual supervision.
- Up to 100 hours may have been obtained during an approved practicum.
- If applying with a doctoral degree:
- Two years of full-time post-doctorate experience and supervision.
- Includes a minimum of 1,500 hours of direct clinical experience.
- One year of experience may be obtained during a practicum or internship, which includes a minimum of 500 hours of direct clinical experience.
- 100 hours of direct supervision, 50 of which must be individual supervision.
Licensure by Endorsement (Portability)
Read more details on Georgia MFT licensure
Georgia Board of Professional Counselors, Social Workers, and Marriage & Family Therapists
- Must provide verification of licenses held in other jurisdictions, with evidence of no disciplinary action.
- The requirements of licensure in the previous state must be equivalent or exceed the requirements for Georgia licensure, as determined by the Board.
In order to renew a license, a licensee must complete continuing education every two years.
State Officials & Legislative Information