I would like to sign up for membership. What category best suits my particular circumstances?
- If you are enrolled in a graduate marriage and family therapy program, or an equivalent graduate mental health program, which can resonably be expected to lead to qualifications as a Clinical Fellow or Member of AAMFT the appropriate category is Student.
- If you are a person in a field related to marriage and family therapy or an different mental health discipline but not licensed nor have any plans to deliver mental health services independently the appropriate category is Affiliate.
- If you submit proof of an official designation indicating you have met all educational requirements for licensure or certification in a mental health profession other than marriage and family therapy and are completing the post graduate clinical hours to practice independently in a mental health field other than MFT the appropriate category is Associate.
- If you have completed a master's or doctoral degree in marriage and family therapy from a regionally accredited educational institution, or an equivalent course of study, and is completing the post degree supervised clinical hours toward licensure for independent practice the appropriate category is Pre-Clinical Fellow.
- If you have attained and hold a current independent (private) practice license in a mental health field other than an MFT, as defined by the Board that legally authorizes you to provide services to individuals, couples and families the appropriate category is Member.
- If you have attained and hold a current independent (private) practice license in marriage and family therapy or can submit proof of current licensing or certification in a mental health field other than MFT, and can also meet our rigorous evaluative standards the appropriate category is Clinical Fellow.
How much are dues with AAMFT?
Clinical Fellow: $201.00 plus Division Dues
Member: $201.00 plus Division Dues
Pre-Clinical Fellow: $146.00 plus Division Dues
Associate: $146.00 plus Division Dues
Student Member: $58.00 plus Division Dues
Affiliate Member: $161.00 plus Division Dues
Clinical Fellows/Members residing outside the United States and Canada: $128.00 (Division Dues are not applicable)
Does AAMFT have an impressive membership?
Yes. AAMFT is the association of choice for Marriage and Family Therapists, independent practitioners in other related Mental Health fields, graduate students in marriage and family therapy and other related mental health programs, and individuals who work with couples and families outside of the mental health arena. Currently, its membership approximately 25,000 and counting.
I need to transfer my membership to another category. How do I do that?
In order to transfer your membership appropriately to another category please complete and submit a transfer application. Please visit the Join Now page to find descriptions of our current membership categories and access to the category applications.
I’ve let my AAMFT membership lapse and would like to reinstate. How do I do that?
In order to complete your reinstatement, please fill out and submit the application for your former category. If you would like a hardcopy application or are not sure what category you were formerly in, please contact AAMFT at Central@aamft.org.
Once submitted it will be processed accordingly and you will be contacted to inform you that you have been updated.
How long does it take to process an application after it has been received?
7 to 10 business days. You will be notified by email after your application has been processed. Please allow extra time if you mail your application or send a check payment.
How Do I Contact AAMFT?
By phone: (703)838-9808
By email: email@example.com
By fax: (703) 838-9805
By Mail: AAMFT, 112 South Alfred Street, Alexandria, VA 22314
Once I sign up, what cycle is my membership on? Calendar Year?
Your membership will reflect the current time period for which you are applying. For instance, if you sign up on November 15th, your membership begin date will be December 1st and will expire the following year on November 30th.
Dues are by anniversary and runs from the time you join/renew until the following year during that same time of the year. Invoices are mailed beginning 90 days prior to your expiration date. Full payment is due by your expiration date. Several follow-up invoices are emailed to unpaid members, at 60 and 30 days before and after your expiration.
If I sign up and decide for any reason that I want to terminate my membership, are my dues and fees refundable?
No. Dues and fees paid to AAMFT are non-refundable.
Does the application for membership need to be completed electronically?
No, while we encourage you to join online so that you can start receiving your benefits immediately, you can also download the application and mail or fax to us along with payment and additional information as necessary.
I do not want to submit my application electronically. What other ways can I send it?
By Fax: (703) 838-9805
By Mail: AAMFT 112 South Alfred Street, Alexandria, VA 22314