Thank you for your interest in joining the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT). There are several things you need to know before you start this process:
- A full marriage and family therapy license (required to apply as a Clinical Fellow) does not include an intern, temporary, graduate, or associate license.
- A social work, professional counselor, psychologist, psychiatric nursing, or psychiatry license that authorizes you to practice independently to treat couples and families does qualify as satisfactory verification for application as a Member.
- An intern, temporary, graduate, or associate license as an MFT qualifies an applicant for Pre-Clinical Fellow membership.
- An intern, temporary, graduate, or associate license as a recognized mental health professional (see list of professions under the "Member" category below) and not for MFT qualifies an applicant for Associate membership.
- All other professionals who do not meet any of the aforementioned requirements and are not in graduate studies pursuant of a license as an MFT or any other recognized mental health practitioner should apply as an Affiliate member.
Membership dues and application fees must be paid in US funds and are due when you submit your application for membership, are non-refundable, and subject to change.
Please choose the one profile that best describes you:
I am a Student currently enrolled in a graduate program leading to a graduate degree or post-graduate certificate in marriage and family therapy or a related mental health field.
Proceed to the Online Application Download the Student Application
Clinical Fellow members:
I am fully licensed as a Marriage and Family Therapist.
Proceed to the Online Application Download the Clinical Fellow application
I live in Canada or outside of the US; I do not have a license in Marriage and Family Therapy but have met the requirements if my jurisdiction were to offer regulatory licensure in this discipline.
Download the Clinical Fellow evaluative application
I am an individual who holds a current independent (private) practice license in a mental health field other than an MFT, as defined by the Board that legally authorizes me to provide services to individuals, couples and families.
Must provide proof of license (at the highest level) in one of the following areas:
- Clinical Psychology;
- Social Work;
- Mental Health Counseling;
- Professional Counseling;
- Psychiatric Nursing;
- Pastoral Counseling (residents of Maine only)
Proceed to the Online Application Download the Member application
Pre-Clinical Fellow members:
I am working towards full licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist.
Proceed to the Online Application Download the Pre-Clinial Fellow application
I live in Canada or outside of the US; I do not have an interim license in Marriage and Family Therapy but have met the requirements if my jurisdiction were to offer regulatory licensure in this discipline.
Download the Pre-Clinical Fellow evaluative application
I am working toward full mental health licensure in a mental health field other than MFT (see acceptable mental health fields above under the "Member" category).
Proceed to the Online Application Download the Associate application
I wish to be affiliated with AAMFT and do not meet the membership requirements of any of the other categories, but I am interested in resources, access, and networking opportunities related to marriage and family therapy.
Proceed to the Online Application Download the Affiliate application
If you would like to reinstate your AAMFT membership online, please proceed to the online application for your former category. If you would like a printable copy of the reinstatement application for your former category, please contact AAMFT Central to request an application at email@example.com.